Advertisement

bakers debate.... what do i do?

hi everyone,
i have 2 yorkies and they love all of our food like meat, mash, pasta etc and they do get a lot of our food too and a sunday lunch but i do like them to have dog food as their main meal. i have tried every food there is and found the only one they will eat is bakers small dog, meaty chunks and gravy bites. they love them apart from the green bits in it lol. however i have heard a lot of people saying bakers is really bad and you shouldn´t feed it to ya dog..... i was thinking surely it cant be that bad or they wouldn´t be allowed to sell it..... what does everyone else think? i am stuck xx
From the topic:
Comments
Post a comment in this discussion:
20 Mar 2012 08:54
Member Removed
Hello Lorraine
I would always get a dog to eat 1 meal of dried dog food each day as routine because of the benefits to their teeth.
It helps prevent the build up of tartar which soft food tinned dog food and human food doesn’t do.
I would recommend Barking Heads bad hair day, give it a go if your budget allows. Our dog is on it at the moment and it agrees with him greatly and 52% meat is up there with the best.
Please see the link below for price and availability
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Barking_Heads-Bad_Hair_Day/c233_234_1762_3054/category.html?pk_campaign=AdWords-279&pk_kwd=barking%20heads%20bad%20hair%20day&oa_matchtype=b&oa_advert=1772&oa_network=g&gclid=CO7GnumK9a4CFYwMtAodlwHfJw
Barking Heads "Bad Hair Day" is a complete food for dogs that is specially developed to naturally improve coat and skin conditions. The Barking Heads philosophy is "down to earth" and that pets "are what they eat". All of their dog foods contain purely natural and high quality ingredients. "Bad Hair Day" is made with a minimum of 52% lamb (fresh and died combined) and rice. It is a hypoallergenic formula which contains specific oils to enrich your dog´s skin and coat to leave a glossy coat and healthy skin. Even the best quality coat is sure to be improved with this food!
22 Feb 2012 06:56
when i first got my boy from rescue he came with a big bag of Bakers, he had some issues and when i started training school the first thing i was asked what do i feed him on? as soon as i said the word bakers, you would have thought i said the rudest word ever LOL! he is now fed on Burns and is a very gentle calm boy but he does also like to have his weetabix in the mornings :-)
17 Feb 2012 16:47
As a groomer, i quite often see dogs with skin problems, and often behavour problems as well. In a large percentage of these my first question is.. "what do you feed them?" .... "Bakers" if I can persuade them to try something else, (not aleways easy) in the majority of dogs there is an improvement. My own dog is very fussy with her food and we usually trust her judgement.... on the one occasion when the only thing that was available was Bakers, she wouldn´t eat it......
17 Feb 2012 11:58
thankyou everyone, i really appreciate all the advice :-)
17 Feb 2012 10:46
As you only have two little ones it would probably be cheaper to make your own meals for them, you can make a weeks supply at a time and freeze it. ,you can pick up cheap chickens/meat rabbit from supermarket or your local butcher, also pets at home do free-flow bags of frozen meats so you only take out the amount you need, do a stew or casserole with meat and veg and add some ´mixer biscuit´
Reported
17 Feb 2012 10:46
As you only have two little ones it would probably be cheaper to make your own meals for them, you can make a weeks supply at a time and freeze it. ,you can pick up cheap chickens/meat rabbit from supermarket or your local butcher, also pets at home do free-flow bags of frozen meats so you only take out the amount you need, do a stew or casserole with meat and veg and add some ´mixer biscuit´
16 Feb 2012 22:37
Having worked in the pet food industry for a short while, I would totally agree with views expressed here re Bakers, and I certainly wouldn´t want my dogs to eat it. I wouldn´t feed my dogs on any food where there are different shapes or colourants in the food. The different shapes and colourants are not there for the dog´s benefit, but to make the food appeal to us. A dog doesn´t care if his bowl of food is all one shape and one colour, whereas we humans do. In addition, the shapes enable manufacturers to make use of a legal loophole - if they are claiming that a food is chicken or lamb or beef etc, then, by law, there has to be 4% minimum meat & animal derivatives of whatever it says on the bag. However, the law does not state that the bag as a whole must contain this much meat, so in the case of Bakers there is approx 5/6 different shapes in the bag but only one of these shapes contains 4% min meat & animal derivatives of whatever, meaning that the bag as a whole contains less than 1% meat & animal derivatives of chicken etc, which means of course that Bakers is virtually meat free.
Amazingly, when I was selling pet food, Bakers was the top selling food on the market. Not sure if this is still true.
16 Feb 2012 21:43
I too have heard that Bakers isn´t good for dogs, even though they seem to love it! I guess it´s like junk food for people - it´s OK o eat now & then, but unhealthy if you eat it every day. My lot are all on Arden Grange Chicken & Rice & they love it - even Shinga who can be a bit fussy with food. The biscuits are a bit smaller than a 5 pence piece, but AG make a small kibble version called ´Mini´ if your yorkies find the standard adult kibble too big.
16 Feb 2012 20:28
oooops my post should of said I only use only natural ingredient´s & I feed hooligans on Butchers, royal cann, well, burns, I use Pets´ Kitchen by Joe Inglis BVSc MRCV for Skye & K9 (veggi one for K9) xx
16 Feb 2012 20:08
Hello, Benji was on Bakers until about 4/5 weeks ago, he is a Westie who has had a very itchy skin, constant scratching, ear problems and bouts of psycho behaviour (we have our own seat at the vets lol). My mum has changed him to Burns food and I´m sure it is the change of diet which is helping - we´re just starting to see the changes now. It´s certainly worth a try but I think you have to give it a few weeks to see a difference.